Family Session Styling
I know planning for family photos can feel stressful but it doesn’t have to be. Here are my top five styling suggestions to help make it easier to coordinate outfits at your next session.
1. Find a focal point. When you begin your shopping, look for a patterned piece that must come home with you. It could be a top that makes you feel amazing, or an adorable little floral print dress for your daughter. Whatever that piece may be, commit to it and work from there. I always suggest finding the mother’s outfit first. As moms, we tend to forget about ourselves in the planning and we become an afterthought. Of course you want your kids to look cute, but you deserve to look and FEEL awesome in your pictures! Take that extra time and I promise it will pay off for pictures
2. Choose a color scheme. I would suggest choosing three main colors to work with. This will give you more flexibility when it comes to dressing the entire family, but doesn’t become top matchy either. You want to coordinate, NOT match. By this, I mean choose the color(s) you want to work with and find different pieces that incorporate some or all of the colors you’ve chosen. Also, keep in mind that not every person has to have on every color you have chosen. Split the colors up. It makes the photo more playful and less uniform.
3. Play up your strengths. Let’s be honest…most of us have some insecurities about our bodies. But, my best advice to you is to WORK what you’ve got! Know your body type and what styles will flatter your figure- and if you don’t know bring your BFF and have them help you. Back to one of my previous points- I want to make sure you feel as amazing as you are!
4. Layers on layers!!! When putting together an outfit, layers are what make the outfit look polished and complete! Add a vest, jacket, cardigan, bowtie, hat, scarf, suspenders, belt, jewelry, etc. This also gives the composition much more depth!
5. Mix it up. Do not be afraid to mix prints and textures. For example: You could choose a piece with polka dots and a piece with stripes. You could put a denim top with a corduroy pant. Your prints and textures don’t always have to come from your main pieces. By doing so, you will begin to showcase the different styles and personalities of each member of the shoot.
I hope these tips help you as you begin your search for the perfect outfits for your family.
Remember- I’m always here to help whether that’s through a visual board on Pinterest or texts as you dig through your closet ;)
Also check out: What To wear and Where To Shop
Ashley Newman Photography is a Woodlands Family Photographer and Storyteller specializing in outdoor family photography. In addition to lifestyle family portraits, Ashley offers day-in-the-life legacy sessions, outdoor maternity sessions, fresh 48 hospital portraits and in-home newborn photography. Ashley serves Montgomery county areas including Spring, The Woodlands, Conroe, and Magnolia.