Smash Cake Tips
Ashley Newman Photography | The Woodlands
Light Chaser Sessions are so versatile. Many use them to update their pictures of their children or even document certain milestones.
First birthdays are a pretty big deal! A Light Chaser session will freeze time for just a moment and can be a fun way to share that milestone. If you set up a session for a first birthday, and you want to have a smash cake, I have some awesome tips for you!
8 Ways to Perfect Your Smash Cake Session:
- Bring two outfits: A cute first birthday outfit, and the cake smash “attire”.
- Let your baby have cake at least 2 times in the weeks leading up to the cake smash session. This way they will be familiar with cake enough to move past the exploration phase and they can get excited about it like the rest of us! But believe it or not, many babies think the texture of the icing feels weird. Some babies don’t like it at all and get upset when it won’t easily wipe off, and some babies are very interested in it and examine it very seriously.
- Bring birthday decor. Do you have a special banner or theme? Let's incorporate it!
- Smash cake sessions can be done in your own home, or even outside (my favorite!) Let's talk about the location that works best for you.
- If your baby has a fever or is not feeling well on the day of the session, then it needs to be rescheduled. We will not get good results and good smiles if your baby isn’t feeling well. Just put the cake into the freezer for safe keeping. Take it out of the freezer with enough time to let it thaw prior to the next session.
- Have some puffs, Cheerios or your baby’s favorite dry finger food on hand to stuff into the cake in case they need help being a littlemore interested in it.
- Also have a sippy cup within arms reach in case your baby gets thirsty. Your baby will need a little break.
- Please avoid ordering chocolate cake and please avoid fondant decorations (this can pose as a choking hazard).
Check out this precious smash cake session and learn some tips on how to prepare for your smash cake session!
Let's Share Cake!
Ashley Newman Photography is a Woodlands Family Photographer and Storyteller specializing in outdoor family photography. In addition to lifestyle family portraits, Ashley offers day-in-the-life legacy sessions, outdoor maternity sessions, fresh 48 hospital portraits and in-home newborn photography. Ashley serves Montgomery county areas including Spring, The Woodlands, Conroe, and Magnolia.