Ashley Newman Photography
One of my favorite places to go for a date night or girls night out in the waterway. The Woodlands Waterway is family friendly and has so many great spots for pictures. Living in The Woodlands has it’s perks- we are close to great restaurants, wonderful parks and concert summer series that totally rock.
Whether you are listening to a free concert in the park, taking a walk or enjoying an evening out with your family, there is always something to do or see.
I’ve used the waterway for years to take photos. You get the best of both worlds with beautiful architecture and wooded green spaces, married together on winding pathways…you really can’t go wrong.
If you are considering using the waterway for family photos, there are a few things you need to know!
- Be sure to check the calendar of events to make sure the waterway will not be blocked off to restricted. Certain times of the year there are seasonal events or races that could make using this location difficult.
- Expect that the waterway will be less private than most, with others also enjoying the parks or a stroll along the water.
- Ask your photographer for a landmark or exact meeting location- there are so many wonderful photo opportunities all around, so make sure you are clear on what you are looking for.
- Plan the timing of your session accordingly. The best time to take photos at The Woodlands Waterway is about 30 minutes after sunrise, or 90 minutes before sunset.
- Plan your outfits to match the more urban vibe of the waterway- talk to your photographer about what you are looking for!
For more fun things to do while you are visiting the waterway, check out this list:
- The Waterway Square– a fun little alcove hidden along the waterway featuring water fountains, a lit up green space, and fun little restaurants. Stop for ice cream, grab a slice of pizza or just enjoy sitting outside.
- Rent a row boat or canoe to explore the waters at River Row.
- Stop in town green park for a picnic (my favorite is to go to HEB and order their pizza to go and sit on the green to enjoy it!)
This darling couple enjoyed their session at the waterway with the surprise of a lifetime! We pulled off a secret proposal and they totally rocked it! Check out how they utilized the surroundings and made memories on the water.