Ashley Newman Photography
Talking about all your cloudy day photo tips today on the blog! Living in the Houston area, we are all used to the weather flipping on a dime. Overcast days can be difficult to avoid (with WGRZ clarifying the difference between cloudy, partly cloudy and mostly sunny), so it’s good to be prepared no matter what.
If you have a specific vision, you should absolutely talk about whether its possible with your photographer. But if you are open and ready to rock your session no matter what, then I am here to share everything you need to know about embracing a cloudy day!
I’ve talked a lot about overcast sessions and all the things I love about them- from more even lighting, to cooler temps and dramatic skies. If it is not raining outside, I love to shoot on a cloudy day. Let’s dive into my tips!
Cloudy Day Photography Tips:
- Overcast skies make beautiful, dramatic colors for your photos. Embrace the moodiness!
- When planning your outfits, mix in warm colors to add that extra punch of color.
- Prepare to potentially push your session time up- it’s going to get darker sooner, so trust your photographer if they are wanting to start 30 minutes sooner than originally discussed.
- Fight the frizz- Houston is known for it’s humidity, and if clouds are rolling in, we may see a spike in humidity levels.
- During colder months, make sure to bring extra layers.
For more tips on what to expect and how to prepare for an overcast day, check out these resources:
Overcast Family Photos
This darling family had a spring morning session where the clouds rolled in. We embraced the moodiness of the sky and made amazing memories as a result! Scroll to see the drama of the skies and beauty of their family bond.