Hospital Bag Must Haves
What To Pack For Photos of Your Newborn
The Woodlands Fresh 48 Photographer
As you prepare for baby’s arrival, having your bags packed with everything you need for your Fresh 48 Hospital Session will come in handy! There are lists all over the internet for what to bring to the hospital, but I wanted to focus on what to bring specifically for photos.
If you’re new here, my name is Ashley Newman and I am a family and newborn photographer that serves the Greater Houston area. Know for my colorful, and connected images of families, one of my favorite types of sessions to capture are hospital newborns. There is something so raw and vulnerable about that that brings me joy. As if being transported back in time to the early days of holding my own babies- it’s scared and precious time. Whether you give birth in hospital, at a birthing center or even in your own home, these photos are special, unique memories of those first few moments earthside.
While each session is different, most families deliver their baby and schedule their newborn photos the first or second day of life. It depends on what you are wanting to capture, but some families decided to use this time to focus on just the baby, to capture their new family together, or even introduce their older children to the new baby for the first time.
Whether you decide to be in the pictures or not is completely up to you. The honest truth is you may not know how you are going to feel about being in photos until the day of. All that being said, it’s still important to prepare to be in them just in case!
What to Pack For Photos of Your Newborn
- lounge clothes
- bathrobe or cozy sweater
- option outfit for you if you feel up to it
- clothes for your spouse (check out this family for inspo!)
- makeup (not everyone wears makeup or wants it in photos, so this one is totally options of course!)
- simple tools for hair (I wouldn’t plan to go all out, but you still want to feel good for photos)
- baby’s outfit for photos (I still like to capture your baby in the hospital clothes too, but if you have a special outfit in mind, make sure to bring that too)
- any signs or display items you want photographed (like this cute sign!)
At the end of the day, less is more. Find a look that is comfortable and don’t force yourself to wear or do something right after you have just had a baby. Fresh 48 sessions are all about the newness and vulnerability of having a baby. Look at your newborn session as a way to get dressed up and a hospital session as a unique and connected session separate from everything else.