Is August A Good Month For Family Photos
Houston Family Photographer
Ashley Newman Photography
Continuing my monthly series for Houston families, we are diving into August for family photos.
August is a tough one- it’s typically the very tail end of summer coupled with the biggest peak in summer heat.
Last year, we saw a horrible summer heat wave, with August bringing some surprising relief: below average temps and plenty of rain. To me, August is always a wild card. We have heat, school starting and increased risk for hurricanes. I schedule August sessions sparingly for these reasons, but is it still a good month for family photos?
Pros For August Family Photos
- You get a jump start on fall family photos
- More dates to choose from and better flexibility
- Beach and creek locations are available
- The light is just beginning to shift from a golden summer feel to vibrate fall- it’s beautiful
- Sunset is a little later still, so week days and after school photos are still possible
Cons For August Family Photos
- It’s still pretty hot outside
- Unpredictable weather
- Back to school and family activities ramp up
No matter what month you choose to do family photos, I will always have your back. I can constantly think of reasons to do family photos (it is my job, after all, and I believe photos to be highly important), but at the end of the day, August can be admittedly a little rough.
Don’t wait until fall to book your fall session, get a jump start in August or book an indoor session to beat the heat.