Houston Outdoor Photographer
Ashley Newman Photography
It’s that time of year- the weather is finally cooling off (as much as it can for “fall” in Texas) and many of us are beginning to plan our annual family pictures. You may be wondering what to wear or how to plan. While every client at ANP has access to our online styling, our ever growing client closet, and of course Ashley’s style knowledge, it can still feel like a lot to put together. Whether you are a super fashionista, or totally clueless, we got your back!
Our Top Five Styling Tips
1. Find a focal point. Let’s all say it together- mom, start with you first! Find that piece that makes you feel amazing, or at least not so much in “mom mode”. You deserve to look and FEEL awesome in your pictures! Take that extra time and I promise it will pay off for pictures.
After you have found your outfit, style everything around it. When you begin your shopping for everyone else, look for a patterned piece that must come home with you. It could be a top that makes you feel amazing, or an adorable little floral print dress for your daughter. Whatever that piece may be, commit to it and work from there. Avoiding adding too many patterned pieces- stick with 1 or 2 like this family did!
2. Choose a color scheme. I would suggest choosing two main colors to work with. This will give you more flexibility when it comes to dressing the entire family. Think about what colors will go well with your home decor (because you are printing these and hanging them on your wall- duh), and then add a. neutral. You want to coordinate, NOT match. By this, I mean choose the color(s) you want to work with and find different pieces that incorporate some or all of the colors you’ve chosen. Also, keep in mind that not every person has to have on every color you have chosen. Split the colors up to create variety.
3. Play up your strengths. Let’s be honest…most of us have some insecurities about our bodies. But, my best advice to you is to WORK what you’ve got! Know your body type and what styles will flatter your figure- and if you don’t know bring your BFF and have them help you. Back to one of my previous points- I want to make sure you feel as amazing as you are!
4. Layers on layers!!! When putting together an outfit, layers are what make the outfit look polished and complete! Add a vest, jacket, cardigan, bowtie, hat, scarf, suspenders, belt, jewelry, etc. This also gives the composition much more depth and allows personalities to shine.
5. Mix it up. Do not be afraid to mix prints and textures. For example: You could choose a piece with polka dots and a piece with stripes. You could put a denim top with a corduroy pant. Your prints and textures don’t always have to come from your main pieces. By doing so, you will begin to showcase the different styles and personalities of each member of the family.
I hope these tips help you as you begin your search for the perfect outfits for your family.
Remember- I’m always here to help whether that’s through a visual board on Pinterest or texts as you dig through your closet 😉 Now take a minute to check out how this family nailed their session. Mom started with her dress- a bold mustard and floral pattern, and made sure everyone else had something built around her outfit.