5 Tips For Taking Family Photos in Summer
The Woodlands Family Photographer
Ashley Newman Photography
Summer time is one of my favorites for light! It’s Texas so of course we have the heat to contend with. But man oh man the light- you just cannot beat it. The grass is vibrant and green- the sun is full and heavy in the sky casting a lazy, hazy warmth over everything. This is when I shine (both creatively but also from a layer of sweat all over…)
Plus we get to stay out later enjoying it. Cannot beat it!!
So what are my five tips for taking family pictures during a Houston summer?
- Expect the heat. As a native texan I have never fully adjusted. So I say this knowing I will be a sweaty mess. But you can plan for it by bringing along hand towels, plenty of water, hand-held fans for young children, and snacks.
- Wear light clothing like linen, flowy dresses and sandals.
- Pick a location with water. Finish your session with a quick toe-dip into the creek or grand finale in the ocean! There is something so healing and comforting about water, but nothing screams summer like a session that involves it.
- Schedule your session for sunrise. Hear me out- it can be rough for those of us that are not morning people, BUT it’s typically cooler first thing in the morning. Most children do wonderful in the morning, and you get your session finished with the rest of the day ahead of you. I am not much of a morning person myself, but my children are and they have always had a blast when we take photos in the morning. They are more cooperative and happier. It’s a sneaky way to beat the heat.
- Try a more documentary approach. Schedule the session at your home. You can pop in and out of the AC when needed. Eat all the popsicles on the front porch, run through the sprinkler system, and embrace a different type of family photo session. A day in your life is worth documenting too.
This sweet family of four embraced the late afternoon heat for summer wild flowers. It’s a good reason to book a summer session because there are always summer blooms and stunning sunsets to chase.