Galveston Beach Family Session
Houston Family Photographer
Ashley Newman Photography
In our neck of the woods, you can practically have a beach session any time of the year. We think of summer and automatically images of the beach come to mind- it’s only natural, but Galveston is beautiful and accessible most of the year. So if you are thinking about a beach session, don’t assume you have to wait for a specific time of the year!
Galveston was giving it her all the day of this family session. The sun was out in full glory! So let’s dive in to what to expect!
- Bring towels and a change of clothing. After we have splashed around a bit, you are gonna have sandy toes. It just happens! Some families even bring a bucket to dip their feet in. you can also plan to have towels down in the car to help with cleanup.
- Speaking of which- plan to get messy. It’s just way more fun that way. 😉 It’s windy, it’s sandy, it’s the beach. Besides, why go to the beach if you aren’t going to run into the ocean for dramatic effect? Seriously though, we will save the messy bits for last, but jump in! That’s where the good photos become great ones.
- Sunscreen is a must! We are out there with nearly zero coverage. If you have already spent a few days at the beach, make sure you have been wearing sunscreen so you are not burnt ahead of your photos. If you are making a special trip just for pictures, it’s still a good idea to have it on just in case.
- Timing is important. We are pretty much out in the wide open for these photos, so there are a lot of things to consider. Too early, and it’s very bright. Too late and we have already lost that special light. Make sure to plan properly with your photographer.
- It’s a long drive for most. And that is ok, just make sure you plan accordingly. Some will book the photos while on vacation, others make a day of the session. If you are planning a sunrise session (which is incredible and I love them so much- can you tell how excited I am?!) double check when sunrise is that time of year…some times it’s a 4am wake up call!
- Critters. Just a fact of life. Our last trip featured biting flies, mosquitoes, sand fleas, gnats and a rattlesnake. According this this article that’s not entirely uncommon.
And while it sounds a little dreadful, it wasn’t all horrible. The sand dunes were the biggest offenders for these critters so we steered clear of any spaces that animals could live. We keep an eye on where we stepped and were armed with mosquito spray. Don’t let it deter you! All locations come with risks so just be smart and respect their space.
At the end of the day, beach photos to me say fun, family and memories. This family had all of the above and I cannot wait until my next trip back!