What To Wear: Studio Portrait Photos
The Woodlands Family Photographer
Ashley Newman Photography
It’s no secret that outdoor photo sessions are my absolute favorite thing. I love working in nature and highlighting our beautiful community.
But there are occasions when we bring the photos inside and it’s important to know how to prepare for your session when that happens.
Reasons For A Studio Session
- You like the look and feel of it.
- Climate controlled.
- No battles with weather or clouds.
- You prefer not to use your own home.
No matter your reason, studio portraits are a beautiful way to capture your family memories.
So now that you’ve decided studio photos are right for you, let’s talk about what to wear!
I tell all my clients the same thing- at the end of the day there are no set rules for what to wear in the studio vs what to wear outside. At least for me and the way I edit. I have colors I ask clients to avoid (purple or neon) or things I label as “no-no’s” (like everyone in all white) but ultimately it’s up to you!
Here are my rules for what to wear when you have a studio session planned.
- Remember that it’s a controlled environment. You don’t have to follow a certain season or color palette because of the way it looks outside. It’s not even a factor- so I say wear what you want! Layer up! Wear that jacket! You will stay comfortable the whole time.
- Aim for comfort. I have talked a lot in past blogs about what to wear or not wear but the biggest thing I want you to look for is something that makes you feel good and is comfortable. Family photos is your time to shine, but it’s hard to do that if you don’t feel comfortable. Make sure your clothes fit well and make you feel amazing.
- The studio is neutral (with some fun color options of course!). That means your personality will always shine. If you decided to dress in neutrals, you’re gonna look great. If you want pops of color, you’re going to shine. You truly cannot go wrong because the studio is designed to make sure you look your best.
Whatever you decide to do, follow my rules for picking outfits (check them out here).
- Ask about lighting. The studio has a lighting advantage. Not only is it perfect for using natural lighting, but we can also use studio lights. They add a punch when using the rolling back drops, or light up the space on a rainy day.
- Consider professional hair and make up. Since we will be inside, your hair and makeup will last no matter the conditions outside. Treat yourself and go full glam for your session!
This family brought all the laid back and loved up vibes to the studio. Mama planned for boho neutrals with a pop of color and it really looks incredible. If you are interested in having your family portraits at the studio, let’s chat!