Outdoor Maternity Sessions | Houston
Spring Maternity Photos
Ashley Newman Photography
When the sun comes through the tree in *just* that perfect and magical way…sometimes I want to cry a little. This is one of those sometimes. Outdoor maternity sessions are some of my very favorite sessions to photograph.
Mama showed up with a vision and the sun came out in all its splendor. Truly the most remarkable part of my job is watching the beauty of humanity along side the beauty of this planet. As you can see, outdoor maternity sessions just make me feel some type of way…
So let’s talk about moms vision here: she had several outfits picked out to create diversity and different looks within her gallery. It’s super smart. If you are are planning several outfit changes for your session, let’s chat!
- First- make sure you talk it over with your photographer. Everyone has different policies. Some have a client closet, others have limited time or a policy regarding outfits.
For maternity sessions, my general rule of thumb is if you have 2 outfits you should be pretty good.
- Make sure your location will accommodate an outfit change. Sometimes we are out in far away locations so it may be easy enough to change (hello changing behind trees or in your car to swap outfits), but other locations have actual restrooms and dedicated spaces. Just ask!
- Want more than 2 outfits? Make sure there is enough time to dedicate to capturing every look. If you are going full glam and focusing on just you, mama (heck yessssssss I support you!) book the proper session type or add on extra time.
- If you have other children that you want included, consider saving your second outfit for images that focus on just you.
- Look at adding layers or other elements to change up your look. Sometimes it’s a lot to change outfits, and you may desire a varied look but not be too keen on changing so much. (I remember being so over everything at the end of my pregnancies, so no one will hold it against you!) No big deal! This mama added a hat and a flower crown to create a whole different vibe. It really changes things up without having to completely swap outfits.
At the end of the day, think about your vision and what you want to *feel* when you look back at your photos. Multiple outfits are not required- just the connection between you and the little life growing inside.
Keep scrolling to see how this stunning mama pulled off a full glam maternity session that has all the love.